Ventura Criminal Justice Attorney
Paul Tyler, Attorney at Law
I have been practicing criminal defense in Ventura County, California since I graduated from law school in 1996. I believe in charging a fair price while delivering exactly what you would expect in return:
- Honesty about your case and your options
- Personalized service specific to you and your case
- Giving you total access to me everyday of the week
- Expecting that all of your phone calls will be returned promptly
- That I will deliver exactly what you are promised
- At all times you will be kept fully informed about the status of your case
In other words…you are not my “client”, you are my “customer”, and you deserve to be treated as one.
I pride myself on personalized service and being available to you 24/7. I am local. I grew up in Ventura County and that is where I handle the vast majority of my cases.
Because I have appeared in the Ventura Courts almost everyday for the past 12 years I know the local judges, prosecutors, and court staff better than almost anyone.
If you are interested in discussing your case with me please free to call me at 805-889-9000. I will answer the call myself.
Law Office of Paul Tyler, Private Practice, 1998-Present
- My practice is focused almost exclusively on defending criminal cases in Ventura County, although I do accept select cases in portions of Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties.
- I have personally made more than 20,000 court appearances in the Ventura County Superior Court, therefore I know all the judges and all of the prosecutors very well.
- I am familiar with all aspects of criminal law, including all felony and misdemeanor court procedures and practices.
- I have appeared on a wide variety of criminal cases including literally thousands of DUIs, as well charges relating to the possession and sale of narcotics, burglary, robbery, grand theft, petty theft, conspiracy, stalking, fraud, identity theft, assault and battery, illegal transfer of firearms, domestic violence, three strike cases, and many others.
- I have appeared and argued before the California Court of Appeal, Second District, as well as both the Northern and Central District Federal Courts.
Temporary Judge, Ventura County Superior Court, 2004 – 2015
- I served as a Small Claims Court Judge Pro Tem, two to four times per month, in Simi Valley and Ventura where I heard cases within the jurisdictional limits of that court.
Wood and Associates LLP, 1996-1998
- Associate attorney at law firm specializing in attorney malpractice defense, and serving as coverage counsel on shareholder lawsuits on behalf of various insurance companies
Law Clerk to The Honorable Lance Ito, 1994
Los Angeles County Superior Court
- I had the honor of being assigned to Superior Court Judge Lance Ito on the O.J. Simpson double murder case in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- I worked on the Simpson case for nine months, including pretrial motions, jury selection and trial.
- I was responsible for performing legal research and writing on issues which arose during the course of the trial. Typical daily assignments included drafting legal memorandum advising Judge Ito on the admissibility of evidence, followed by drafting written rulings for the Judge.
- I was primarily responsible for research and analysis on the admissibility of RFLP and PCR DNA evidence.
- Attended jury crime scene view, escorted jurors on the bus for the crime scene view, and pre-walked the crime scene and Mr. Simpson’s home with Judge Ito, Marsha Clark, Chris Darden, Robert Shapiro and Johnny Cochran
Juris Doctorate, Pepperdine University School of Law 1996
- Lead Articles Editor, Pepperdine Law Review
- Awarded Judicial Externship to Judge Lance Ito on O.J. Simpson double murder case in Los Angeles
- Moot Court School Champion, first place
- Am Jur Awards/highest grade: (1) Remedies (2) Scientific Evidence, (3) State Constitutional Law
- Admitted to the California Bar Association in December, 1996 (Bar #183960)
- Published in the Pepperdine law Review on admissibility of DNA evidence.
Bachelor of Arts, Pepperdine University 1988
- Double Major in English and Religion
- Honored as the Outstanding Male Graduate of the August, 1988 graduating class
- Attended the Year in Europe Program in Heidelberg, Germany
Bar Association Leadership and Professional Memberships
- Admitted to practice in all California state courts, since 1996 (California Bar Association #183960)
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Central District, since 1997
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court, Northern District, since 2001
- Former President, Ventura County Barristers
- Former member of the Executive Committee of the Ventura County Bar Association.
- Cub Scout Den Leader
- Youth Basketball Coach
- Little League Coach
- Youth Soccer Coach and Referee
- Offroad Racing Dirt Riot National Champion 2017
- King of the Hammers (Ultra 4 Racing) three time finisher! (www.instagram.com/tyler_racing)